Glass recycling will no longer be available in 2017. Eff. Jan. 1, 2017, the City of Alcoa will no longer accept glass in curbside recycling. The City of Maryville will no longer accept glass at the recycling centers effective Feb. 1, 2017. Glass is not accepted at the Blount County recycling centers.
According to the Maryville Daily Times, “equipment is being highly damaged by broken glass and co-mingled colored glass has no market anymore.” ... "the cost of processing and transporting recycled glass is substantially higher than the return it provides in the market. " Recycling providers are no longer taking glass locally.
In addition, in the City of Alcoa, we found that a lot of the items we had been recycling are actually not acceptable. For example,
Food soiled paper products (such as pizza boxes)
Glass - no type of glass is accepted for recycling effective January 1, 2017
Plastic takeout containers and utensils
Waxed Cartons (example: orange juice and chicken broth cartons
We were surprised to find out some of these items are not acceptable, especially bubble wrap, pizza boxes, plastic takeout containers and utensils, Styrofoam, and waxed cartons. Our recycling will definitely decrease.
Here is a list for the City of Alcoa of Acceptable and Unacceptable recyclable items. Here is a list of Acceptable recyclable items for the City of Maryville. Maryville has one recycling center. Here is a list of the Blount County recycling centers and the Acceptable items.
- Downtown Maryville slammed by storm (1 reply)
- Maryville residents must refrain from doing laundry (1 reply)
- 2015 Blount County Traffic Fatalities in Blount County, TN (8 replies)
- Ammunitions mfg announced for rural Blount County (1 reply)
- Smart Growth – City of Alcoa (1 reply)
- The Market at Washington and High has closed (1 reply)
- Blount evacuations, train with hazardous chemicals fire (1 reply)
- Another lawsuit in the ongoing Velda Shore saga (1 reply)
- TDOT public meeting on Alcoa Highway Bypass project (3 replies)
- 14 years later- A Blount County Monarch Butterfly (2 replies)
- Pro-choice growing in Blount County (3 replies)
- Songs by the Brook concert series finale (1 reply)