The Maryville Daily Times website reports that there has been a fire at their offices. No other details at this time. Hope everyone is OK and the paper can go out tomorrow as scheduled.
FLASH UPDATE: Just returned from the scene. According to Maya Brown and Chris Reynolds in the Advertising department, the fire started out back in some wooden pallets, possibly from a cigarette. The fire blew in some windows into the HR department offices where it spread. There is extensive smoke and water damage, and fire damage to some offices.
Publisher Max Croster was taken to Blount Memorial for smoke inhalation and one other employee was treated at the scene. The paper has a contingency plan to use computers at a nearby church to put tomorrow's paper together and send it to a newspaper in Sevierville to have it printed.
Origin of fire believed to be wooden pallets in this area behind the building.
UPDATE: Chris Reynolds and Maya Brown from the Maryville Daily Times Advertising Department were evacuated when the fire broke out. They describe what happened:
- Pro-choice growing in Blount County (3 replies)
- Songs by the Brook concert series finale (1 reply)
- Can we just say no to a Sam's Club in the Alcoa Town Center? (1 reply)
- Songs by the Brook another big hit (2 replies)
- Free concerts in Springbrook Park (2 replies)
- Songs by the Brook series kicks off at Springbrook Park (3 replies)
- Blount Democrats Meet & Greet - Saturday, July 26, 2014 (1 reply)
- Hey Teapartiers, get off my porch (3 replies)
- Voters approve increased sales tax in Blount County (1 reply)
- Blount Co. sales tax referendum and tax distribution (1 reply)
- Special Called Meeting of Blount County Commission set for noon on April 3- psst it is a blanket rezoning! (9 replies)
- Subs & Such makes Southern Living, January, 2014 (1 reply)