The problem is, the article is a slice and dice of a May, 2007 Alcoa press release.
According to an Alcoa spokesperson today, "This is old news from back in May. Alcan was already bought by Rio Tinto, and that happened months ago."
Memo to the MDT: If you aren't going to check your facts, at least check the dates on press releases you transcribe onto the front page.
UPDATE: Looks like this is an exact reprint of a May 2007 AP report.
UPDATE: The correction in Thursday's paper: "Correction: The Daily Times inadvertently published a dated Associated Press story in Wednesday's newspaper about ALCOA. While the information was correct at the time the story was originally issued, Rio Tinto has since purchased Alcan. We apologize for the error."
- 2015 Blount County Traffic Fatalities in Blount County, TN (8 replies)
- Ammunitions mfg announced for rural Blount County (1 reply)
- Smart Growth – City of Alcoa (1 reply)
- The Market at Washington and High has closed (1 reply)
- Blount evacuations, train with hazardous chemicals fire (1 reply)
- Another lawsuit in the ongoing Velda Shore saga (1 reply)
- TDOT public meeting on Alcoa Highway Bypass project (3 replies)
- 14 years later- A Blount County Monarch Butterfly (2 replies)
- Pro-choice growing in Blount County (3 replies)
- Songs by the Brook concert series finale (1 reply)
- Can we just say no to a Sam's Club in the Alcoa Town Center? (1 reply)
- Songs by the Brook another big hit (2 replies)